I have started a new "blog" which is not really a blog It is called Qur'an Addict. Inshallah I am going to save all my Qur'an searches and search results, so that it will help others, inshallah, to find words or phrases in English / Arabic / transliterations. For example, you might be looking for the topic of Modesty or Dress Code but need to know others words to look for to pull up the relevant or related verses, such as chastity, immodesty, modest, chaste, adultery, beauty, adornments, khimar, jilbab etc etc.
I use Qur'an Search Engines such as Quranix.net and IslamAwakened.com and then I use corpus.quran.com which finds the Arabic root word and links up all the words that come from the Arabic stem word.
Has this ever happened to you:
- Sometimes, you know you have read a verse or you know the topic is in there somewhere but can never seem to find it again?
- Sometimes, you hear a phrase or command/law so often you come to believe it is from the Qur'an but you want to check, just to make sure?
- Sometimes you hear/read a phrase that is "from the Qur'an", but they do not mention the chapter and verse numbers so that you can verify?
- Sometimes the words are correct but when you find the verse in reality, you realise they are set in a different context?
- When you ask for advice, you are told another hadith but still no chapter or verse number?
Sometimes anti-islamic articles / newspapers / sites will quote from the Qur'an out of context. If you know what the theme / topic is, and you know where to find the relevant verses in the Qur'an, you can get to the bottom of the matter. For example, one site said that the Qur'an claims "There is no God". A trick on words involving omission of the "except" clause. Apologies for the dumb example but this kind of trick or (sometimes genuine error) is used a lot where "except" is missed off, or people don't read the rest of the verse and surrounding verses.
I am not a qualified islamic scholar. My previous searches and own personal Qur'an Study over the past few years have made finding what I am looking for in the Qur'an somewhat less of a daunting task than it used to be when I was new and didn't know where to start. Alhamdulillah! I still have a long way to go, but let's learn together as we go along, inshallah!
Disclaimer: The search is only as good as the keywords I search for, and the search engines I use. Insh'allah the keywords and links and roots I post to the blog are correct to the best of my knowledge. Always verify information independently. Allahu Alim.
When in doubt, check the Qur'an out!
Please be gentle, it is only a couple of days old! :o) Suggestions for themes / topics / keywords welcome.